Business Presentations provides dialogue, commentary, and tips to become a powerful presenter and leader.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Business Presentations: Your Voice is Your Brand

This morning I called Sue Levine of CTS Travel 800-726-2757 x 113 to book my business trip. When I spoke to her on the phone she greeted me excitedly like an old friend. She said, "Hi Diane! Your voice mail says exactly what you do. Your tone is so upbeat and outgoing. I thought Wow! She doesn't have to use any promotional material because she spoke her message." Sue continued, "If I were looking for your service and heard your voice mail you'd be my number one choice. I could imagine you as a speaker. People must sit there listening to every word you say. In 35 years in the travel business, I can fathom from the voice and words what people and saying and not saying. And most voice mail is voice jail."

This was the first time I ever spoke to Sue. Talk about impact!

She got me thinking about a speech I gave last week on Presenting Your Brand. Even though the voice is 38% of the message in face-to-face communication,on the telephone your words and voice are 100% of the message. Yet, how often do we hear inappropriate personal voice messages, dispassionate tone, or garbled, rushed speech? What's the impact? A negative impression. We spend so much money on promotional materials and resumes to create a positive visual brand only to lose business because of an ineffective voice message. Your VOICE is your brand.

To hear my voice mail message call 212 481-8484 x312.

5 comments:

Roxana Gheorghe said...

I agree with you, Diane. You're an exceptional presenter. Voice and words in a phone conversation are key tools in representing your brand. They convey the entire message about your brand and/or services. Therefore, your speech may bring you new business or may make you lose business.

Your workshops helped me overcome fear of speaking in public and rushing through my speech. I also saw attendees' reactions when they listen to you: they believe you and also respect your expertise.

Thanks, Diane.

Training Connection said...

Eye contact is very powerful and this is why being in person has that much more impact with people. Its also important to move about the crowd and wake up any stagnant energy in different areas of the room. Even if you project your voice well, giving yourself different stopping points in the room helps to jog a person's ear from speaking durations that may register as monotone.

4 Ed a Kidney said...

Thank you, Roxana. I agree that your voice conveys confidence. People will listen to you when you sound like you have conviction.

4 Ed a Kidney said...

I agree, Training Connection. Eye contact and movement are key elements of a good presentation. Actually, movement can help to wake up your voice. By changing your position, you create change. And change is what stimulates attention.

Roxana Gheorghe said...

You can build a powerful presence when speaking and moving properly to convey that image. Do you need a personal trainer to teach and correct you? I'm interested in learning more about these techniques.

Thank you.